1992 - The Beginning
- Jane Tellekson, a young math's teacher at ISD took a year's of absence and went to work at a small boarding school - Moringe Sokoine Secondary School, Monduli, Tanzania.
- That year turned into six years, during which she went on to become the first head mistress of a new school just down the road from Moringe - Maasai Girl's Lutheran School.
- Mary Coonen, ISD's university counselor, and several colleagues set up a summer school program in Tanzania, with Jane's assistance.
- Over the years, the program has expanded from two to three weeks of intensive teaching of Form IV (Grade 11) students, and embraced and developed an ESL summer program at Milimani Primary School.
- Bob Ater invited, and ISD funded Dr. Seth Msinjili's trip to the International School of Düsseldorf. Dr. Msinjili is a former Headmaster at MSSS.
- The participants of the '98 "Project Tanzania" team sent an invitation to Mr. Mollel, the Moringe Coordinator of Project Tanzania at that time, and paid for his ticket to Germany. He lived with us in Düsseldorf for an entire month!
- In celebration of our decade long relationship with MSSS, our sister school, we invited Dr. Msinjili and Mr. Mollel to revisit and spend two weeks living as a part of the ISD community. They were present at Tanzania Night, where Dr. Msinjili held a speech, thanking the ISD community for everything they have done, and continue to do, to help our friends in Tanzania.
- Took part in building a new, badly needed dining hall; the old one sat around 150 people, whereas the school population is close to 600.
- Took part in completing the new administration block.
- Set up internet connection; including a satellite dish, as well as maintenance for the following five years. This helps us maintain in contact with the students at MSSS, as well as gives them an opportunity to access the library of the electronic world.
- Dr. Msinjili built a safe house for girls, who without his aid and a place to live would be unable to complete their education.
- Mr. Kwayu (now Headmaster) and Mr. Lendimi (Projectz Coordinator) visited Düsseldorf, with the aid of ISD. They were here for Tanzania Night, as well as meeting with classes to talk about life in Tanzania. It was a very successful cultural exchange.
- Provided aid in the installation of solar power in some of the buildings, so that the students can study at night.
- Expansion of solar power installation.
- Simon Panga, Bertha Pantaleo, and Nathaniel Muhe (teachers involved in the sponsorhip and summer programme) were able to visit ISD.